Eating a variety of colours is important because different coloured fruit and vegetables are higher in different phytochemicals, which have MANY different benefits for our bodies. This includes:
- Supporting a diverse gut microbiome
- Improving your immunity
- Improving your fertility
- Reducing your anxiety and depression symptoms
- Coping with stress
- Preventing diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease
The different coloured groups are:
- Purple/blue fruits and vegetables which are high in anti-oxidants which are important in helping to reduce inflammation in the body (which is strongly linked to anxiety and depression).
- Green vegetables which are high in indoles, saponins and carotenoids which have anti-cancer properties.
- Orange/yellow fruit and vegetables which are high in carotenoids, such as beta carotene which gets converted to Vitamin A. Important for immunity, cell growth and eye health.
- Brown/white fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals such as allicin which has antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Red contains lycopene, another powerful antioxidant
Start by just adding a serve or two more fruit and veg each day and make sure you get a spread of a variety of colours each week. You will feel better!
The little things we do in life really can make a big difference!
If you would like personalised help with your diet, book an appointment with our dietitian by emailing- firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credit: @foodnetwork