Getting the right nutrition for your body is so important! Often people only look at food in terms of whether they think a food is tasty or not OR whether it’s going to help them lose or put on weight.
But nutrition is SO MUCH MORE than this!
Good nutrition affects so many aspects of your health and well-being include:
· Affecting your energy levels
· Providing nutrients for your hormones and nervous system
· Strengthening your reproductive system
· Supporting your concentration and brain function
· Supporting your gut health and immunity
· Contributing to your mental health and sense of well-being
· Improving your exercise performance
· Strengthening your muscles and bones
· Decreasing risk of disease, such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer
So what can you do to nourish your body more?
Some easy tips include:
· Include whole-grains in your diet
· Aim for 2 serves of fruit and 6 serves of vegetables a day
· Include sources of protein at every meal. This includes legumes, nuts, dairy, eggs and meat.
· Have seafood 2-3 times a week
· Drink around 8 glasses of water a day
· Eat regularly
· Reduce the amount of processed food in your diet, this includes cakes, chocolates, chips etc
· Reduce the amount of alcohol you have each week
These things are fairly straight forward but can be hard to put in place when our lives our busy. Just start with one new change to work on each week and then add a new habit each week. It could be to add an extra piece of fruit or handful of raw nuts for a snack on the run each day instead of the muffin or cake. Or to go with a grilled piece of chicken instead of a fried crumbed piece of chicken. These small changes will help your body work more effectively and improve your physical and mental health.
The little things you do each day, really can make a big difference!